The Tax Accountant performs the day to day duties of the tax function of all properties and corporate entities and ensures compliance with various taxing authorities and financial accounting standards.
- Prepare various federal, state and local income/franchise tax returns.
- Assist with ad valorem tax accounting function – track, initiate and make payments, coordinate intra-company process and manage workflows with multiple third party consultants.
- Assist with transactional tax function – coordinate compliance with sales, use, privilege tax reporting and manage workflows with property accountants.
- Prepare schedules workbooks regarding REIT tax laws and regulations.
Essential Duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Understand GAAP and taxable income and expense concepts for financial reporting and tax return preparation purposes.
- Update tax and other regulatory compliance calendars for federal, state, and local income/franchise and ad valorem taxes.
- Update company-wide entity list and ensure compliance with various jurisdictional registrations, renewals, licensing requirements, etc.
- Assist with the auditing function for income taxes – REIT compliance, tax accruals, E&P and 1099 reporting.
- Draft responses to various notices and audits.
- Ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley and departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare detailed analyses of various tax items for internal and external use.
- Work with internal teams to ensure that necessary tax accounting data is available while minimizing impact on financial accounting.
- Assist departmental management with special projects as needed.
- Work independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects.
- When visiting an American Campus Community, support our commitment of unparalleled customer service and curb appeal, including never walking by a piece of trash without picking it up. At ACC - we are all groundskeepers.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required (advanced degree in accounting a plus).
- 3-5 years of relevant experience (Big Four/real estate industry preferred).
- REIT and Subchapter K taxation concepts – Federal and State.
- ASC 740 and other GAAP concepts.
- CCH Prosystem fx or comparable tax return preparation software.
- Sage FAS or comparable fixed asset accounting software.
- CCH Intelliconnect or comparable tax research software.
- MRI or comparable GL software.
- Microsoft Office Suite, with heavy emphasis on Excel proficiency.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and liaise between the tax department and other departments within the company.
- Strong organizational skills to ensure effective management of several tax processes.
- Strong analytical skills in order to interpret, forecast, manipulate and review data.
Back to Results