The General Ledger Accountant will play an integral role in ensuring the timely production of accurate financial statements by applying generally accepted accounting principles and specific company procedures to the maintenance of balance sheet reconciliations for specific general ledger accounts across a multitude of entities. In addition, the General Ledger Accountant will actively collaborate with other team members to identify areas for process improvement and will have an opportunity to be a problem solver. This position requires a solid understanding of all aspects of accounting as well as a high degree of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
Upon supervisor approval, this candidate will have the ability to work from home two days of the week after a six month tenure with the Company.
- Monthly preparation of key balance sheet account reconciliations for large portfolio of properties, including workpaper and journal entry creation
- Provide audit support requests to both internal and external auditors
- Understand and comply with GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley, and other related policies and procedures
Essential Duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Design and creation of new balance sheet account reconciliation as well as improvement of existing reconciliations
- Close coordination and communication with Property Accounting team and other stakeholders to research, analyze and explain trends and variances
- Prepare additional reports and analysis as required by auditors, lenders, and joint venture partners
- Assist in the preparation and review of annual budgets
- Assist operational staff and management with explanations of variances from budget
- Perform various duties as assigned by management including special projects, ad hoc reporting, cross train with other employees for back-up coverage and assist in accounting support
- When visiting an American Campus Community, support our commitment of unparalleled customer service and curb appeal, including never walking by a piece of trash without picking it up. At ACC – we are all groundskeepers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Financial Management
- Technical Capacity
- Ethical Conduct
- Attention to Detail
- Communication Proficiency
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required
- 2 – 3 years of accounting experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Microsoft Office applications
- Real estate experience preferred
- GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley preferred
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required
- MRI experience preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Maintain a strong work ethic, positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Work independently and be a self-starter and team player
- Deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners
- Possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong relationship-building ability, proactive, results-oriented, and resourceful
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy; excellent product quality
Certificates and Licenses:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The normal operating hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Hours of work may change based upon the needs of the business.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Back to Results