Under the direction of the CTO, the Director, Application Development will be responsible for managing the development and integration of a portfolio of applications within the enterprise. This individual must be able to review and evaluate the performance of Development Managers and Developers; ultimately accountable for Application platform(s), project deliverables, resource allocations, assignments, budgets, and the overall quality of the final product. The Director, Application Development will strive to accelerate the delivery of new services while improving stability, performance, and uptime by working closely with the operations team and support adoption of DevOps principles. The Director, Application Development will also oversee the Quality Assurance team to ensure that the appropriate level of testing occurs to support high quality enterprise software releases into production.
This role demands strong thought leadership, excellent communication and team building skills, as well as robust problem solving and diligent project management skills. Collaboration with stakeholders from many areas of the enterprise is expected.
- Direct the day-to-day operations of the Application Development area.
- Manage complex IT application development projects within an Enterprise.
- Work closely with the Operations team to improve stability, performance, and uptime of application
- Evaluate and modify existing systems as directed by business requirements.
- Oversee and manage the capital and operating budgets for designated area.
- Work closely with the architectural team on coordinating the technical roadmap, planning architectural changes, facilitating solution design and platform development activities.
Essential Duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Demonstrated ability to define and communicate strategy and vision and influence across the Enterprise is essential
- Demonstrated ability to effectively inspire and influence teams and partners in delivering technology enabled business solutions that meet business needs.
- Ability to execute at scale in a dynamic environment
- Ability to build strong relationships and promote collaboration
- Ability to identify talent, recruit, hire, and build high performing teams
- Ability to coach, mentor, and provide direct, timely performance feedback; experience setting direction, tracking progress, and ensuring accountability
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to independently work as a contributing member in a high-paced and focused team.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in planning, implementation and support of business application components, including change and release management
- Develop and maintain a customer-focused, agile and accountable department that delivers high-quality code.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices in IT technology, development processes and software architecture.
- Negotiate contracts and renewals with vendors.
- Responsible for the software development life cycle and change control management of mission critical applications.
- Interface with the users to gather requirements, conduct business analysis and write functional and technical design specifications.
- Revise and refine programs as required and document all procedures to ensure conformance to departmental standards and procedures.
- Participate in production support activities in a maintenance environment.
- Recommend process and/or system improvement, which will lead to improvement in applications and customer service.
- Participate in meetings with users to ensure service levels and project deliverables are being met.
- Lead the team through changing project requirements, constraints and environmental needs
- Balance team structure to support delivery expectations, enterprise quality, and team development
- Contribute to and lead consensus of role and team design within Application Development, Project Management and Quality Assurance
- Create and manage a budget within the team of teams
- BS/BA Degree in Business in CS, IT, or Business Administration or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of technical experience with 8 years being in a managerial capacity.
- Experience in medium to large enterprise environments preferred
Back to Results