Come work for a dynamic team at one of Forbes’ Top 100 Most Trustworthy Companies! We are looking for a Fixed Asset Accountant to join our Austin office. American Campus Communities is the nation's largest owner, operator, and manager of premier student housing facilities. Enjoy a fun, team-oriented work environment and casual dress code at a large publicly-traded company with competitive benefits. The core of American Campus culture involves everyone being fully invested in everything that we do down to picking up the smallest piece of trash.
The Fixed Asset Accountant will be the main point of contact for all of the Company’s fixed asset recording for our portfolio of owned properties. Responsibilities will include reviewing fixed asset invoices for proper capitalization, maintenance and reconciliation of the fixed asset subledgers/schedules, as well as participation in monthly, quarterly and annual close. In addition, the Fixed Asset Accountant will actively collaborate with other team members to identify areas for process improvement and will have an opportunity to be a problem solver. This position requires a solid understanding of all aspects of accounting as well as a high degree of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Review of fixed asset transactions, including purchases and dispositions, to ensure they are in accordance with the company’s capitalization policy and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Record fixed asset additions in fixed asset subledger as well as calculate and record monthly depreciation on the general ledger.
- Reconcile fixed asset subledger to the general ledger monthly to identify and resolve variances.
- Provide audit support requests to both internal and external auditors, including quarterly fixed asset roll forwards.
Essential Duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Understand and comply with GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley, and other related policies and procedures.
- Create and process manual additions, transfers, reclassifications, disposals and informational changes for fixed asset subledger.
- Track costs associated with minor renovation projects and reconcile to GL as well as communicate with operations staff on completion status of such projects.
- Work closely with property accounting team, tax team, operations staff and financial analysts to coordinate information gathering, resolve issues and communicate decisions regarding asset capitalization determinations.
- Prepare additional reports and analysis as required by auditors, lenders, and joint venture partners.
- Assist in the preparation and review of annual budgets as it relates to depreciation.
- Assist operational staff and management with explanations of variances from management’s capex budget.
- When visiting an American Campus Community, support our commitment of unparalleled customer service and curb appeal, including never walking by a piece of trash without picking it up. At ACC – we are all groundskeepers.
- Special projects and additional responsibilities as requried.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Financial Management
- Technical Capacity
- Ethical Conduct
- Attention to Detail
- Communication Proficiency
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required.
- 3+ years of experience in fixed asset accounting.
- CPA and public accounting experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Microsoft Office applications.
- Real estate experience preferred.
- GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley preferred.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills required.
- MRI experience preferred.
- Experience with Sage Fixed Assets (FAS) accounting software preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Maintain a strong work ethic, positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Work independently and be a self-starter and team player.
- Deliver excellent customer service at all levels of the organization and with external partners.
- Possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills .
- Strong relationship-building ability, proactive, results-oriented, and resourceful.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy; excellent product.
Certificates and Licenses:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The normal operating hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Hours of work may change based upon the needs of the business.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Back to Results