This position will oversee the accounting and financial reporting functions of the Property Accounting group as well as supervise members of the Property Accounting management team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for strategic management of the Property Accounting team
- Primary liaison with other departments and corporate executives
- Directly supervises Property Accounting Directors
- Works directly with the Financial Reporting and Investments Teams on acquisition and disposition accounting
(other duties may be assigned):
- Implements new policies and procedures or modifies existing policies and procedures to make the financial reporting / accounting process more effective, streamlined, and efficient
- Develops and maintains departmental policies and procedures, including SOX controls
- Manages both internal and external audit requests
- Performs accounting research on technical matters
- Coordinates with the Budgeting and Forecasting teams on variance analysis and forecasting as presented to the Executive Team
- Performs accounting review functions
- Actively mentors entire property accounting team with a strong focus on staff development
- When visiting an American Campus Community, support our commitment of unparalleled customer service and curb appeal, including never walking by a piece of trash without picking it up. At ACC – we are all groundskeepers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the minimum knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage Performance
- Supervise Others
- Problem Solving
- Technical Capacity
- Ethical Conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Bachelor's degree (B.B.A.) in Accounting or Finance required
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant) required
- Minimum 8+ years related professional experience preferred
- 5+ years in a supervisor role managing a team of 5 or more preferred
- Big 4 accounting firm experience preferred
- Real estate experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley
- MRI a plus
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Microsoft Office applications
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, analytical, leadership and presentation skills
- Handle multiple high priority projects with a keen attention to detail
Certificates and Licenses:
- Problem solve and analyze data demonstrated by the ability to assimilate new information, understand complex topics and arrive at sound analysis and judgement
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Work independently while logically and strategically taking on accounting issues which adhere to US GAAP
Carries out supervisor responsibilities including: interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Also provides regular updates to leadership.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Hours of work may change based upon the needs of the business.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Back to Results