Human Resources Generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level in some or all of the following functional areas: employee relations, benefits administration, performance management, onboarding, policy implementation, unemployment, workers compensation, affirmative action and employment law compliance. Works closely with senior HR management in supporting assigned operating units by implementing human resources programs and being a resource for employees and American Campus Communities (ACC). This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the ACC organization, along with sensitivity to corporate needs, employee goodwill and the business needs.
Essential Duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Acts as an employee relations specialist by handling employee relations issues (including but not limited to, employee complaints, harassment and discrimination allegations and civil rights complaints), counseling statements and exit interviews. Coaches, counsels and guides managers regarding employee disciplinary actions and conducts investigations as needed.
- Facilitates and monitors Employee leave including providing information to employees as needed regarding FMLA, disability and ADA and oversees the return to work process.
- Maintains and processes all Unemployment Notices of Entitlement and potential charges in a timely, efficient manner. Attends unemployment hearings when necessary.
- Administers various human resources plans and procedures for company personnel and assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures.
- Reports, maintains and monitors all workers' compensation case files; follows-up on open cases.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
- Accurately maintains Human Resources Information System records and compiles reports from database, as requested.
- Participates in developing departmental goals, objectives and systems, as requested.
- Assists with the EEO-1 report annually; and maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Creates and updates job descriptions as necessary.
- Conducts new employee orientation and General Manager training at the corporate office.
- Assists in the analysis of reports, providing input regarding decisions that result in department achieving established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve departmental efficiency and internal customer service.
- Performs benefits administration to include but not limited to claims resolution and communicating benefit information to employees.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars as needed.
- The core of American Campus culture involves everyone being fully invested in everything that we do down to picking up the smallest piece of trash. No matter their position or duration at any given property, everyone picks up trash.
American Campus Communities Culture Commitments:
- Our people are devoted to a culture of inclusion, diversity, and equality in the workplace and our communities. We are committed to intentionally executing an evolving set of goals specific to inclusion, diversity, and accountability, driven by empathetic leadership and embraced by all.
- The core of American Campus culture involves everyone being fully invested in everything that we do down to picking up the smallest piece of trash in the office and around our communities. No matter their position or duration at the organization, everyone picks up trash.
- Serve as an American Campus representative and liaison in all interactions.
- Certain activities involved in this position may be photographed and/or video and audio recorded for quality control and/or training purposes. Compliance with the Photo, Video and Voice Recording Policy is a condition of employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee Relations
- HR Expertise
- Ethical Practice.
- Global & Cultural Awareness.
- Relationship Management.
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university plus a minimum of 5 years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Principles and practices of employment law, including but not limited to FMLA, ADA, Workers Compensation and Title VII.
- ADP and/or other HRIS experience required.
- Communicating effectively, both verbal and written, with internal and external customers.
- Interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Computer skills including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Time management and proven ability to meet deadlines
- Customer service.
- Use critical thinking to effectively solve problems.
- Maintain confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Write business documents, including but not limited to reports, counseling statements and correspondences.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and coworkers.
- Read, analyze, and interpret business/financial reports, and legal documents.
- Work independently.
- Detail oriented.
- A self-starter with hands-on approach.
Certificates and Licenses:
SHRM CP/SCP and/or HRCI PHR/SPHR certification preferred.
Back to Results