Are you looking for a great company with opportunities to work from home and year-round half day Fridays? Good news! American Campus Communities is looking for a Director - Corporate Accounting to join our Austin office. American Campus is the nation’s largest owner, operator, and developer of student housing. We are a publicly traded REIT that offers a number of growth opportunities within Accounting and Finance. Enjoy a fun, team-oriented work environment and casual dress code at a large publicly-traded company with competitive benefits.
This position will oversee all required day-to-day accounting and financial reporting functions for the corporate entities of the Company as well as supervise and mentor a staff of 4-7 of varying levels within the accounting department. This is a comprehensive position that requires a solid understanding of all aspects of accounting.
- Review, coordinate and complete the preparation of accurate books and records for U.S. and Canadian corporate entities as well as owned and third party properties under development.
- Supervise, mentor and train a team of 4-7 individuals including two A.P. Associates, Staff and Corporate Accountants and the Development Accounting Manager.
- Understand and ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley and departmental policies and procedures.
- Implement new policies and procedures and modify existing policies and procedures to make the financial reporting/accounting processes more effective, streamlined and efficient.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Prepare and review required PBC schedules for internal and external audit as needed.
- Assist financial operations personnel and other company departments with questions and information requests as needed.
- Provide other support to the V.P Corporate Controller and Assistant Corporate Controller by managing or completing special projects and other periodically assigned duties.
- Prepare supporting schedules for SEC reports and other quarterly filings.
- When visiting an American Campus Community, support our commitment of unparalleled customer service and curb appeal, including never walking by a piece of trash without picking it up. At ACC - we are all groundskeepers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Collaboration Skills
- Communication Proficiency
- Problem Solving
- Financial Management
- Technical Capacity
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree (B.B.A.) in Accounting.
- Minimum 7 years related professional experience.
- 4+ years in a supervisor role managing a team.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP.
- Accounting software.
- Advanced Excel.
- Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, analytical, leadership and presentation skills.
- Work independently as a self-starter with a hands-on approach.
- Handle multiple high priority projects with a keen attention to detail.
- Problem solve and analyze data demonstrated by the ability to assimilate new information, understand complex topics and arrive at sound analysis and judgement.
Certificates and Licenses:
CPA (active license)
Carries out supervisor responsibilities, including interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Provides regular updates to leadership.Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Hours of work may change based upon the needs of the business.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Back to Results