The Director - Land Acquisition and Development is responsible for building a meaningful pipeline of opportunities for the company’s off-campus development platform, focused on the development and long-term ownership of Class A student housing located in targeted university markets across the United States. The role will include leveraging internal and external resources to build a vast pipeline, assess financial feasibility, and prepare deals for investment committee review and approval.
- Build and manage a pipeline of opportunities by engaging with targeted landowners and developing and maintaining a broker network across the United States in targeted college markets with a focus on identifying development sites that will allow the company to enter new markets as well as expand in existing markets.
- Operate with a sense of urgency in traveling to prospective markets to evaluate potential opportunities.
- Leverage internal and external data to source off-market opportunities and vet risks for overall portfolio.
- Collaborate with Market and/or Financial Analyst and/or Operations and Leasing departments to understand market conditions, product type opportunities, and established market rental rate structures.
- In collaboration with ACC stakeholders, establish initial product concepts and pro forma assumptions for developments that can be developed under current zoning as well as additional entitlement scenarios.
- Build and support relationships with internal and external stakeholders within the organization and across our business partner community, with continuous outreach and networking to drive new business.
Other duties may be assigned
- Assist in the negotiation of the Letter of Intent (LOI), land procurement contract, and other related legal documents per company policy and procedures.
- Assist in various phases of pre-development including, but not limited to, conceptual design and predevelopment activities.
- Analyze third-party and internal data reports and translate market data into community concepts.
- Have ongoing strong working knowledge of evolving Acquisition and Development best practices and/or strategies that can be applied to day-to-day work, the department, and/or the organization, and proactively communicate those best practices and/or strategies to the necessary team members and/or leadership.
American Campus Communities Culture Commitments:
- Our people are devoted to a culture of inclusion, diversity, and equality in the workplace and our communities. We are committed to intentionally executing an evolving set of goals specific to inclusion, diversity, and accountability, driven by empathetic leadership and embraced by all.
- The core of American Campus culture involves everyone being fully invested in everything that we do down to picking up the smallest piece of trash in the office and around our communities. No matter their position or duration at the organization, everyone picks up trash.
- Serve as an American Campus representative and liaison in all interactions.
- Certain activities involved in this position may be photographed and/or video and audio recorded for quality control and/or training purposes. Compliance with the Photo, Video and Voice Recording Policy is a condition of employment.
To be successful in this position, you should have:
- 3-5 years demonstrated experience in real estate investing, underwriting, and/or site sourcing.
- Student housing experience preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of Land Procurement and Real Estate Development.
- Skill in probelm solving, strategic thinking, and organization.
- Ability to travel as required.
Back to Results