The Director of Technical Accounting will serve as a technical accounting subject matter expert with respect to the company’s accounting policies. This position will have responsibility to manage the processes and internal controls associated with the identification, documentation, communication and implementation of proposed and new accounting standards, and the accounting for complex financing, mergers and acquisitions and other real estate transactions. The position reports to the V.P. Corporate Controller.
Required Certificates and Licenses: CPA (Certified Public Accountant)
- Conducts technical accounting research and prepares technical accounting memos to document specific Company positions related to, but not limited to real estate transactions.
- Monitor, analyze, and implement standard setter activity and emerging accounting pronouncements.
- Lead accounting policy initiatives such as adoption of the new lease accounting standard.
- Brief executive management on new accounting pronouncements and the anticipated effect on the company’s financial statements.
- Implement new or modify existing policies and procedures to make the financial reporting / accounting process more effective, streamlined and efficient, and to conform to new accounting guidance.
- Perform research on accounting, financial reporting and industry matters.
- Work effectively with external auditors to explain accounting positions.
- Assist in the preparation of financial reporting disclosures (MD&A and Footnotes) for completed transactions and new accounting pronouncements.
- Works with property and corporate accounting to ensure proper accounting for non-recurring transactions.
- Provides training on technical accounting issues other departments and staff as needed.
- Works with other departments to identify and prioritize policy development and accounting research needs.
- Play a lead role in special projects and other duties as assigned.
- When visiting an American Campus Community, support our commitment of unparalleled customer service and curb appeal, including never walking by a piece of trash without picking it up. At ACC - we are all groundskeepers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Minimum 8+ years related professional experience required.
- Public accounting experience required.
- Experience with GAAP research and writing technical accounting memos required.
- Real Estate experience a plus.
Back to Results